Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Why travel?

You know how the memory of our last trip fades before we are ready to forget about the great time we had? There's always a To-Do list waiting for us upon our return, and we're pressed to jump back into our busy lives. Just a few weeks back, my boyfriend and I and a good friend were wandering the wondeful streets of Madrid, but it seems like months ago. Today I got to daydream a little about our recent trip.

This afternoon at work, I grabbed a coffee and stepped outside to enjoy the misty weather and the last of the white petals dropping from the pear trees. While I was sipping my coffee I thought of Jose, a friend-of-a-friend who showed us around the Gran Via and Chueca neighborhoods for an afternoon. "How do you spot an American in Europe?" he asked. "They've got a coffee in their hand and are walking down the street." Jose laughed and proudly said he needs a chair, at least 30 minutes, and conversation with a few good friends to enjoy a coffee!

Jose's joke was telling. Americans, in my opinion, are accustomed to being on the run and seek instant gratification. We want it cheap, fast, and preferably in large quantities. This appears different from many European cultures where the focus is on fine ingredients (or other qualities) and true enjoyment of the experience. Is it too harsh to generalize and say that Europeans are living for the moment and Americans are living for the future? Surely, a balance is best.

And this is why we travel...to step outside our daily box, to gain a little perspective, and to see how the other 6 billion people in this world live. I bet they might know something I don't. Geez, deep thoughts. And all I wanted was a quick cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment